View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
A question for all in attendance:

What do you call this hobby of ours? That is, the research and appreciation of the old buildings of Los Angeles.

Whenever someone asks about my hobbies, and I try to explain what we do here, it takes me an entire paragraph to give any kind of reasonable explanation... and I still don't feel I explain it well. Then they look at me like I'm nuts.

Is there a term or phrase you folks use to describe what we do in this thread here? Or am I doomed to sound like a crazy person??

THANKS!

The term urban archeologist found some usage about 30 years ago, though it was applied to researchers looking at other cities, too. I like it because it retains focus on our subject and doesn't limit us practitioners to any specific body of evidence or investigative method. The field is interdisciplinary and thrives on collaboration.

As for the relative degree of sanity accorded to us, we happy few, vs. the rest of humankind, I do feel a degree of pity for those who've never adopted or considered or even heard of our quest. Poor blighters!