View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 5:30 AM

Alta Pines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The April 1964 Street Address Directory lists Golden Chicken at 2651 Lombardy Blvd. The building is gone, but the low retaining wall we see
in your photo behind the women is still there.

About the house on the hill . . . I don't know anything about it, but I noticed that now-empty area recently and wondered what once occupied
the top of the hill (I couldn't find anything in the Sanborn Maps). So thanks for posting that photo, which at least shows a little of what was there!
The large house at the top of the hill was called the Alta Pines and it was at 2608 N. Eastern Avenue. It was a residence and a tea room operated by Mrs. Louise Threlkeld.

1932 CD via lapl.org

LAT 9-11-29 via newspapers.com

Here is an aerial view:

Google Earth Pro

There are many building permits for 2608 N. Eastern Ave, but I couldn't find the original or the demo dates. The mixed commercial and residential nature of the parcel is not mentioned in the permits.

ladbs

Mrs. Threlkeld presided over many social events, she is mentioned many times in the newspapers.

Here is an aerial from 1952 with the 3 acre property outlined in red. The assessor describes it as vacant and gives it a value of $2,040,000 in 2017. Its hard to say if this aerial shows a building or not.

UCSB

Last edited by Lorendoc; Jun 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM.