View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:10 PM
TL;DR

^ I guess that goes to my question, though - how realistic is it that continued Chinese growth will accrue to the "Chinese corridor" along Archer, or will people start moving to the suburbs if they want a house and cars? I get the sense that a lot of it is driven by recent immigrants, whether poor or middle class, who want to establish a foothold in the US and save money while living cheaply. But for other immigrant groups, the place to "live cheaply" is increasingly in the suburbs, wherever there is a concentration of 1960s-1970s apartments.

For the people that are in the "Chinese corridor", those people will want a house in a nicer suburb like Naperville or Arlington Heights with good schools, right? The schools in the "Chinese corridor" are... not great, to say the least.

Chicago and New York are kinda unique since they are really the only two cities with growing urban Chinese communities... other cities may have a small legacy urban Chinatown (SF, LA, Philly, Boston, DC) but all the large Chinese communities are in the suburbs. It just seems more likely that Chicago will follow those other cities rather than NY which is a special case with Flushing/Sunset Park.