View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

I have been equally intrigued by the aerial shot and the two aircraft. Considering this was just two or three years after Lindberg's Atlantic sojourn, I would imagine there was still keen interest in airplanes, which begets the question, what were the planes doing there? An advertising gimmick a la "Bob's" ? Aircraft sales? (Think '46, Eddie Meyer at Third and Vermont. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=8697 ) They certainly look small enough to have been trailered to the location, but in '29 they could have landed on many undeveloped lots nearby.

Another thing caught my eye is the square area that almost looks like an animal pen but I think it is more likely just billboards arranged in a square pattern and the area within used as a parking lot.
It appears the aircraft in this photo are being disassembled. In fact we see a bi-plane that has had its wings removed and placed on the ground leaving it stripped right down to the fuselage. Above the three aircraft in the area where the photo appears damaged we see what could be an aircraft fuselage with no wings to be seen.

I believe you are correct about the "square" actually being signs. If you look across the street you will see two signs that appear to have been done by the same sign company. When I looked at the signs across the street an oddity caught my eye. That oddity being the circular object that appears to have a domed top. Then I noticed a pair of those near the parked planes. Any idea as to what those might have been? Almost look like vents for something underground.

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; May 30, 2014 at 4:42 AM.