View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Thanks for the photo adds, e_r!

I have a barely related question, but this is something I've observed many times in this thread...

Mitchum's necktie in the second photo is quite short by today's standards and looks silly to me, but apparently that was the norm for quite a while. Was that the standard length in the past? I'm no fashionista, but as a young man I recall reading that a man's necktie should about reach the belt buckle, and that's been the standard for as long as I can remember. Can anyone comment on this?

And I totally agree about partying with Lila...Mitchum must have thought he'd gone to heaven and if I were him, I'd have done just the same if I could. Although it's easy to look back with a bit of sarcasm, I feel sorry for both of them and think they were in fact victims. Many at the time thought the bust was an orchestrated stunt, intended to send a warning to Hollywood.

BTW, finding the pot shack was confusing because many articles show the address as 8334, not 8443. I guess some dyslexic reporter got the number wrong, and then it stuck!
The short ties always bother me too, but they seem to have been the norn back in the "noir" days. Here are a few more.

Bogart in The Big Sleep:

The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers

Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity:

Double Indemnity, Paramount Pictures

Dick Powell in Murder My Sweet:

Murder My Sweet, RKO Radio Pictures