View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It's not any more authentic than the other examples, just more extreme. Many others have posted of their largely positive experiences growing up or raising children in urban and/or multi-family environments.

But I think most of us are also reasonable enough to agree that there's probably a better middle-ground for child rearing than the extremes of an Upper Manhattan tenement or a Schaumburg subdivision. There are an abundance of family-friendly urban neighbourhoods in North America.

And even if that's the case, what's the problem? Should a parent not locate in a place that makes them happy? Giving up your own conveniences and preferences just so your kid can have a yard to play in for a few years (which they won't even care about anymore once they get into video games or whatever) isn't great either.
I agree that it's a balance. Somewhere between sprawling suburban hell and 100K ppsm density of upper Manhattan is probably best.

The factor missing in this conversation is Money - Growing up poor/low income in multi family housing sucks regardless of city, but multi family housing with money is way better. Neighborhood being equal, It's certainly better to live in a SFH than an Apartment or Condo, that we can all agree to, i'm sure.

As a kid who grew up in a very urban area, I think these are requirements for a child to enjoy that life:
1. Access to grass/trees/parks
2. Ability to be independent outside at a young age (~5 years old)
3. Enough room indoors to have privacy, especially with siblings