View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Patel thinks Albuquerque is ready for Major League Soccer, Downtown venue

I would be so jealous if they did this ahead of Tucson...
I hope they do it! I wish that we would consider a stadium downtown or near Streetcar stops. I dont even care if we get MLS. I dont care if FC Tucson stays PDL, the stadium in an area that has food and entertainment within walking distance is the key.

The barriers to joining MLS are getting quite high. I think it is $250,000,000 buy in, a city centered, soccer specific stadium within your first 3 years, and a proven soccer market.

Besides meeting those requirements, Albuquerque is far down the list for MLS expansion. Miami and Beckham have been stalled, LAFC has stalled, Las Vegas had stadium trouble and Sacramento, with their way successful USL team, would come way before. FIFA is already upset at MLS for wanting more than 20 teams and MLS has stated publicly they would top out at 30. If they do happen to reach thirty, it will be 2 teams at a time with 3-4 years inbetween expansions. If Albuqueue makes the list, they will be in the last addition. This means is it 20 years, best case scenario.

I like soccer

Last edited by crzyabe; Apr 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM.