View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:13 PM

Something I've been pondering lately.....the American Southwest, its boundaries, and whether San Antonio is a physically Southwest city.

Wikipedia says the American Southwest is specifically Arizona and New Mexico (agreed), but some include Texas in there as well as some of the other states.

I personally don't support the idea that ALL of Texas should be considered in the American Southwest. So, I've been thinking about what defines the Southwest, and here's some criteria I've come up with:

-lighting
-natural cacti

On the lighting...being from North Texas, one big noticable difference to me between N. Texas and S. Texas/San Antonio/Hill Country/W. Texas is the sunlight. It's just different.

Now on to the cactus. Traveling on 281 in the Hill Country, I feel more like I'm in W. Texas than Central Texas. Also, cactus stops growing before you get to Burnet, if I remember correctly. So north of that point, I wouldn't think that I was specifically in the southwest anymore. In the West, yes, but not the Southwest.

So, what parts of Texas would you guys consider the "Southwest." And don't anyone dare say Dallas or Houston! And yes, I am insane.