View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
I'm not sure I understand what any protest can be directed at though... The project seems to have gone through the proper channels so far (albeit seemingly rather quickly)... People seem to have suddenly forgot that this WAS approved by council and approved by the heritage board - even though it doesn't exactly meet their variances, they felt it acceptable enough to approve it.

Then one person has decided he is not happy with how the process went, and is appealing to a higher board to have a look at it. That's it.

Let's let the process unfold as it should, and not let all the media hype make it seem like it's needing a public outcry of support or it's going to fail.

I'm saying this as someone who supports this development. I just also realize that any potential delay is being played up more in the media than any other project would be (since we all know who owns the papers around here).
You are correct. It went through all the proper channels and this gentleman is well within his rights to appeal. The issue is when will the appeal be dealt with. As I understand it, there is a huge backlog in appeals as the same board also hears all tax assessment appeals as well. The petition is merely to ask the board to put priority on this request...not to change it etc. Just to give it priority.

As I have said before the rally and public outcry is an effort to show that we are "open for development" and in my opinion is long overdue. We have had far too many disappointments in recent years and this may be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back.