View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This must be the welcoming Maritime attitude that we pride ourselves on.

Born, raised, and spent 22 years in Saint John. Doubt my opinion on this matter and you may as well doubt anyone else's. I'm more engrained in SJ despite being a two hour flight, twelve hour drive, and one time zone away than you may think, and routinely travel to SJ. This isn't about where I am located, and if that's the best you can use as a retort then your argument is weak indeed. Besides, the company you're supporting in this thread as putting money into the local economy has no issue with hiring the best talent from outside of the region, and that includes Ottawa.

I haven't bashed Irving or anyone else in my posts, i'm merely stating that i'm not about to jump over the moon because they're promising development money to the City. Irving does a lot of great things for the City as well as many not so great things. This is more about following the natural process of a large-scale development, and people should be hesitant to want to push forward a million dollar project without first going through the proper processes. I believe the last time the City did that they ended up getting shorted on LNG. This current council, thankfully, don't get spooked too quickly and are willing to pause and wait for things to take their course.
It looks like you've sensed my frustration! I apologize for any offence but as a person who moved here 10 years ago it has been one piece of bad news after the other. We need some good news but more importantly we need the attitude of the City to change (in my opinion). I'm not naive - I know we can't whistle our way to happiness but we need a "can do" attitude. If I have learned anything by living here in Saint John is that the typical response to pretty much any proposal is "the problem with that" or "we can't do that because". As I'm sure you can imagine - very frustrating. I have a vested interest in seeing this City prosper - I'm here for the long haul and only plan on leaving in a box! I am hopeful that at the very least, the rally and petition will give us that "can do" attitude.....here's hoping!