View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
NYC is really an example of a ring pattern where you have a wealthy core in Manhattan, then outer boroughs and industrial cities, then wealthy suburbs. Certainly no wedge of wealth running out of Manhattan.
Yeah, there's poverty and wealth in all directions, and often intertwined in a manner fairly unusual in the U.S. There are housing projects in the Upper East Side and in Greenwich, CT, blocks from billionaires. Maybe slight regional preference for North/Northeast directional, but nothing consistent.

Long Island itself has a favored quarter, though (North Shore) and NJ has some favored quarters usually along rail lines (west of Newark, a corridor in Bergen close to Manhattan, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Interesting that Detroit has somewhat of a "Yonge St." pattern, where wealth runs through a "central corridor." Though I guess an incomplete one as you don't have a more or less contiguous zone running out of the downtown.
Yeah, I've always thought that Yonge and Woodward play roughly analagous roles as major Great Lakes cities with massively divergent fortunes and with different national contexts. You can even see it within Detroit proper, in the struggling neighborhoods, where those closest to Woodward are grand, neglected homes.

I've also noticed that these "favored quarters" are often the residence for the "old guard". Toronto is amazingly diverse though the Yonge corridor north of downtown feels very white, Protestant, old-school Toronto wealth. I remember dining at an Indian restaurant on Avenue Rd. and the whole restaurant felt old, rich WASP, nothing like the typical Toronto. Corridors in DC, Houston and the like tend to be similar, very white and not reflecting regional diversity.