View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:36 PM

Familiar building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I found this photo on an old cd of mine.

I googled it and referenced it back to this site. http://www.radiocityhollywood.com/

below: The building still stands at 1440 North Highland Avenue.

google street view

Does anyone know the original purpose of this building...even before it's KECA days?
Could it possibly have been a fire station? (note the three arched doors fronting the street)
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I have a question about the 'bars' over the two round windows. At first, I just thought they were security bars. Do you think the bars were merely decorative?
__

I assume the original occupants were in the '30s photo, but haven't confirmed that via directories or other sources.

The building's original design was deceptively simple with arches (roof tiles and facade) and arches and bevels for windows and doors.

I also assume that most ornamental ironwork primarily served a decorative function. But it also projected security. With the small window sizes, who knows what was behind them? Functioning offices or glorified storage? Interesting to note the how the front arched windows morphed into solid glass brick and may now even sport security bars in front of the glass. This is probably not a decorative element, although it may provide a place to tether a visiting horse and carriage or secure a shopping cart.