View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
I was really hoping the "outdated" southern convention center would be used as an arena for the Coyotes. Jefferson Street & 3rd Street would totally be a sports and entertainment district with 3/4 of our major sports teams being in the same vicinity. We all know Sarver would be against it, especially with the renovations of Talking Stick Arena, but if the city owned it, I think there wouldn't be as much backlash. I'm sure they could still build the two high rises (hotel and residential proposal) being on the north plot of the space, instead of the southern portion.
I think most Arizona residents are done paying for stadiums and arenas for the foreseeable future. Every single one of these deals has been a loser for the state of AZ in terms of dollars and cents. In fact, there is only a handful of such projects in the entire country that can be considered objectively successful and worthwhile. There is absolutely zero reason in the world why taxpayers should be on the hook for anything other than infrastructure improvements when it comes to the construction of sports venues. This lot, along with every remaining undeveloped/underdeveloped lot within a 5 mile radius of downtown should zoned for multifamily mixed use. Phoenix also straight up does not deserve a hockey team. The owner, management, team, and fanbase have always been and always will be shite. I can name at least a half dozen Canadian cities and a half dozen American cities that would be by far better markets for hockey than the Phoenix Valley.

Last edited by TouchTheSky13; May 28, 2020 at 1:40 AM.