View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Long ago.....as time goes by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
[

I used to enjoy finding "survivors" on NLA, no matter how mundane they may have seemed. But lately I find it simply sad. The survivor below is barely surviving at all. It looks boarded up, with a trash bag on the entry roof. The 'grand dames' of old LA are either renovated and cherished, or reduced to rubble. But simple places like this are left to rot, robbed of their meager dignity....forced to linger in purgatory while denied any hope of rescue.

HI Albany:

My roommate Walter, who was a criminal defense attorney, and I used to live at the end of this block going West. I was going to college then and it was 1972. The ramshackle 1901 house we lived in is long gone. You can still see the vacant lot on the South side of the street. Walter later moved to San Francisco....I stayed in the LA area.

The photo you posted brings back a lot of old but still fresh memories.

You can see our old house in the background. I believe it had been built around 1900. Upstairs at the Left was an actor's school. I used to watch the beautiful hopeful actors walk up those stairs. What became of them?

personal collection

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 25, 2014 at 4:01 AM.