View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:31 PM

Downtown noirish modern

I guess the « residential style » stopped at the 1910's in Downtown. I don't recall seeing any later on Bunker Hill. By the 1920's, it seems it all moved West.
I spotted on a Youtube video (« Be a passenger in my car. See downtown los angeles volny ») 3 similar apartment complexes of the 1920's in Downtown (at Sunset & Figueroa, Bixel and Third and Bixel and Seventh) and wondered how they could be so well kept 90 years later !

panoramio.com

rentingtimecom.jpg

The answer is they are brand-new ! It is a deluxe 1920's composite, with a brown painting on the walls of the first floor (they liked brown very much in the Roaring...), their building has been controversial, they look « noirish » and they are ! : they're « notorious targets for property crimes ».
We all prefer Figueroa & Sunset in 1920 (already discussed on the thread) to 2012...

tumblr.com

lacurbedcom

...but I must admit I like thinking it becomes « classy » a century apart to live in Downtown (I include Sunset and Bixel Downtown, not caring of the 2 freeways as the borderline and remembering the old maps).

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM.