View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:19 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
Sorry about your dad, vid. If you don't want a debate, you shouldn't talk about Sex, Religion, Politics, or Walmart.

On a macro level, Walmart's international role is bridging gaps between economies and cultures by buying and selling across borders. If America and China have one commonality, it is Walmart. I've even heard it said that NAFTA owes something to Walmart, as Walmart's Mexico business helped open eyes to the importance of international trade for American enterprise. At the core of why I care so deeply about Walmart is my belief that if you can make people trade with each other, they won't fight each other. On that basis, I believe that Walmart is doing a great deal to bring about world unity (and peace).

As the largest private employer in the world, the largest corporation in the world by revenue, and one being six times larger than its largest competitor (Target, which does not operate internationally beyond Canada), there is perhaps no force on earth with as much private economic leverage; so beyond the scruffy customers (even, sometimes, scruffy associates) I am awe-struck by what this company is doing for our world.

As for the rumors about associates being underpaid and overworked: I disagree, because I've never seen evidence that those rumors are truthful. On my part, I feel that I am treated well and compensated fairly.

As for my part, I am a department manager at my store. I'm not at the bottom, but I'm not floating at the top either. That's my angle.

Without debate, Walmart does impact urban life and form; and so, whether you personally love it or hate it, I think that it (and this project) is relevant to the collective of this board on such ground.
This is actually scary. I imagine some dead-eyed drone writing this, with some device protruding from the back of his head that connects directly to some Walmart Central Core, so that he may receive his directives on how to further spread Walmart Loveā„¢. I admit, though, it isn't often you see people talk about the positives of globalization, and how great it is that globalization destroys local economies across the globe. It's an interesting angle, at least.