View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 10:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
And Halifax transit sucks. I realize now that I have no idea what transit in, like, Toledo or Wichita is like. Last time I used Halifax transit, I thought "this is really Middle America-style stuff", but I guess no.
Halifax transit is bad but it's quite different from the US. In Halifax there are lots of fairly busy milk run type bus routes. In the US those routes either wouldn't exist or maybe one or two of them would be a streetcar that would be nice but wouldn't connect to much else.

I think the cause-effect relationship is that lots of people live in the urban core and in multifamily housing, and vehicles are relatively unaffordable. This drives demand for transit, and causes people to take transit in Canadian cities even when it's not that great.

Halifax has been growing a lot lately but the transit isn't improving much. There are so many plans, like commuter rail or fast ferries, but nothing is ever built except more incremental bus infrastructure. Canadian cities are unfortunately pretty unambitious and risk-averse when it comes to infrastructure.