View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's Baby Town at 18725 Sherman Way. Do you think this is the same Baby Town as advertised on the 1953 sign above?

gsv

Baby Town recently closed, and the building is being renovated.
I thought e_r had found the Baby Town store advertised on the sign until I came across this Julius Shulman photoset. This is "Job 1604: Carl Maston, Store Buildings (Los Angeles, Calif.),1953",
and the description gives the location as Reseda (we've seen a couple of Carl Maston's designs recently). The first image is the only color photograph in the set. For search purposes, the picture
also includes Country Club fashions, Reeve's Shoes, and Anita, which also appears to sell clothes.

Here's a different angle of the store fronts.

This is the back of the stores facing the parking lot. Anita has a display of Fall fashions.

And from the other end.

All from Getty Research Institute

Here's an article about the opening of Baby Town from the October 29, 1953 edition of Valley News. It confirms the address as 18403 Sherman Way.
It also references an existing Studio City Store which is mentioned on the "Coming Soon" sign above.
NB. I've rearranged the layout to fit the screen better.

www.newspapers.com

Here's the block today. 18403 is behind the rear of the silver car. I posted "then and now" pictures of the greenish building on the left in post #31511.

GSV

The difference in appearance of the store fronts made me think the building in the Shulman photos had been replaced. Then I found that the Googlemobile made a single
visit to the parking lot behind in July 2007. I'm pretty sure that the store backs are the same, so I'm guessing that the fronts just got a makeover. Baby Town must've
moved to the store in e_r's picture at a later date.

GSV

Last edited by HossC; Oct 31, 2015 at 1:20 PM.