View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is no city with a comparable mix of density and height across such a large area. I don't think NYC needs to worry about other cities "catching up".

Not true. Shainghai for example has a much larger height skyscraper density. Look at some google aerial images, it is crazy. Hong kong is comparable as well.

I don't understand why it's "bold" to do the same generic international-style buildings you see in every city, from Wuhan to Istanbul to LA. Isn't it more "bold" to have your own style?

And I certainly hope NYC continues to build square boxes. If you don't respect the street, you will no longer have the pedestrian-oriented street-level feel. I want a walkable environment, not a suburban-style place like Pudong, where the buildings don't respect the pedestrian.
I don't think every city looks the same. They all have their own skyscrapers with different shapes/sizes. That's the difference though, their designs vary from building to building. It makes it interesting.

And you don't have to build square boxes to be pedestrian friendly. You can have a square base and change the shape as you go verticle.

All i'm saying is there are thousands of buildings in NY that look like this project. I don't see a reason why breaking outside of the norm is so unacceptable to you. If a city does the same thing over and over in the name of "staying true to its roots", then it becomes stagnant and frankly everything looks antiquated.