View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What is your question exactly? That if someone suggested reopening constitutional talks that the general view in Quebec would be NOOOOOO?

If that's your question, my sense is that people would be OK with that course of action. Contrary to people in the MOC, people in Quebec can never really forget the "national question" and a bit aspect of that is constitutional. Opening up constitutional talks to try and get Quebec to sign on would be like water on the back of a duck. Of course the separatists would be very cynical about the whole thing, but they wouldn't be sitting at the table anyway.
No, I was extrapolating on Black's partition mechanisms comment and wondering about reactions to a real two-way negotiation that would involve trade-offs for meeting Quebec's traditional demands. I sometimes feel that we've all be brainwashed into seeing the only option as giving Quebec what it wants, or giving it nothing at all. That kind of thinking has led us to what increasingly looks to me like an impasse. Black's comment seems to suggest a new option, at least to me.