Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:16 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
So if that attempt wasn't strong enough, did any bricks suffer any actual physical damage when it all went south?
I do not think any bricks were damaged. When the building section hit the ground it appears that the kinetic energy was absorbed by the seperation of all the bricks rather than by just the bricks at the point of contact with the floor . In contrast my Lego User Group (MichLUG.org) was working on a project a few years ago for Kellogs Cereal City Museum (now closed) that included a 7 foot high Tony the Tiger made of Lego. The contract specified that it be glued since the statue would be exposed to direct contact with children (one of the most destructive forces known). Anyway, someone dropped a hand that had been glued together and since there was no "give" to it, several bricks were severly damaged and had to be replaced (a lot of work since the glue had already set).

I did learn from my Fisher Building disaster however.
1. I removed from the building all of my old Lego bricks that dated from my childhood (those bricks are older than many SSP forumers) because they were worn and caused weak points in the building.
2. I built stronger the second time with better constructed walls and more internal bracing.
3. No one will punch a hole in the Fisher Building roof again because the entire roof section is now solid Lego!

Surprisingly, I have never been to a Legoland and have only been to one Lego store (Michigan Ave store in Chicago).

Wolverine, I take no offense at all. I simply made a Lego engineering mistake and I learned from it and moved on. It was a classic blessing in disguise because if that collapse had occured while I was setting up for a public exhibit such as at a train show....
Also, thanks for the compliment!

John_mClark, it looks like you need to purchase more Lego!
I have a relatively small house and small yard and a 110 pound would not have sufficent room to roam; therefore my dogs are small and are not a danger to my 230 pound Fisher Building.