View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 8:15 PM

There's no location in the description of this Julius Shulman photoset, but luckily it's marked as the Coronado Wilshire Center on the front . The words "Wayne Alan Apts." are visible on the building behind (see below). The "Hotel" blade sign on the far right belonged to the Parkway Hotel at 682 S Coronado Street. It's now the Coronado Inn. This is "Job 802: Mobil Station, glass blocks (Los Angeles, Calif.),1950".

Here's a better view of the glass blocks. That must be part of the Hershey Arms on the right.

And here's the inside of the service station.

All from Getty Research Institute

The name "Wayne Alan" didn't ring any bells, but the address of 667 S Carondelet Street was familiar. It's the same building that tovangar2 posted about under its original name, "The Georgelle", in post #32617. That post also covers the Coronado Inn among many other extant gems in the area. When I Googled that name "Wayne Alan", I also got a lot of results for the "Alan Wayne Apartment Building" at the same address. I don't know when or why the name swapped around.

GSV

This office block now stands on the site of the old Mobilgas station. The address is 2500 Wilshire Boulevard, and I think it was built in 1970.

GSV