View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:59 PM

Can anyone here please help?

I'm trying without much success to find out the history of a wonderful 1920s 'French Norman revival' building that was located on the southeast corner of Sunset Blvd. and Crescent Heights Blvd., just east of the Garden of Allah apartments. The structure faced Sunset Blvd.

All I know is that the building was constructed in the early 1920s, and that it was home to the infamous "Crescent Heights Market" (where Hollywood's elite overpaid for its groceries) and "Schwab's Pharmacy" (which had taken another pharmacy's space there in 1933). I also know that the entire building was demolished in the 1950s; Schwab's remained in the same geographic location for the next 30 years, but within a new, freestanding ‘box’ structure.

Below are several photos of the building and what followed. Does anyone here know exactly when it was constructed, for whom, and by which architect? Did the building itself have a name? What year was it was torn down? Thanks so much!

Circa 1930:

Huntington Library Collection

Circa 1938:

Bruce Torrence Hollywood Photograph Collection

Circa 1949:

What replaced it at some point in the 1950s:

What is there now. The present-day tower MIGHT be an architectural homage to the long-gone original building's 'Norman revival' tower:

Last edited by Oviatt Building Fan; May 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM.