View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
So, I’m planning a 7-10 day trip to Toronto in May, and I’m pretty excited about exploring it in a fair bit of detail based on the time I have.

Is [Eglinton] something worth checking out? It feels like a mid-speed stroad, not pedestrian friendly, lots of shops that are boarded up or in poor condition, and nothing that interesting in terms of retail or food. I think it’s fair to say I’m not a fan of grit for grits sake, and maybe during the summer the number and diversity of people makes it interesting? But isnt’t that everywhere in Toronto? Just can’t see it being high on my list of things to check out. Is it like Vancouver’s Commercial Drive but longer?
If you're an urban flaneur and you've got 10 days to kill in Toronto then, sure, why not? Eglinton West probably makes that cut. It isn't pretty - in fact, the section west of the Allen to Dufferin is one of the most haggard (urban) commercial streets in the entire city - but Ken's right that you won't find stuff along Eglinton in Vancouver if only because the immigrant groups are the ones that are underrepresented in Vancouver: Jewish, Carribean, Latin American.

My food recommendations with a timestamp in the video for reference

- Aish Tanoor (Laffas - a Jewish flatbread served like a Shawarma) at 44:30;
- Sheryl's (Jamaican) at 1:09:32
- Mexology (Mexican, obviously, specializing in Churros), on the south side, just west of Dufferin where he turned around (so imagine walking 80 meters west of 1:16:17).

St. Clair Avenue, the street he ends off on with the streetcar line, definitely is further along in the gentrification process and has more curb appeal.