View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:19 AM

The Stilson-Botsford House in Angelino Heights

I know you guys have covered the Victorians of Angelino Heights before on NLA but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the Stilson-Botsford House. It was probably one of the grandest in the neighborhood, with thirty rooms including a ballroom on the third floor. It was built for William Stilson, one of the original developers of Angelino Heights (along with Everett E. Hall, who jointly filed for ownership of the tract. It was then spelled "Angeleno Heights.") He built his own house on the northwest corner of Carroll Avenue and Edgeware Road in 1887, but died in the 1890's. The house was then purchased by California Bank president William Botsford. Here's a few photos of the place from the 1890's:

LAPL

Flickr

Like most of its neighbors, the house was converted to multi-family use and was altered. This one seems to have been dealt an unfair share of remodeling. Ready to cry? Have a look at the Stilson-Botsford House these days:

Flickr

No wonder this house is never mentioned alongside its neighbors, that never saw alterations of this scope and are all more or less restored now. You might even be wondering if you're looking at the same house in the modern day pic. Just compare the second floor bay window on the right side of the facade, that's the most telling feature that still (sort of) exists. The above photo is from 2006. Google Street view tells us that, as of 2011, the house has been painted a darker brown. Somehow it doesn't help much:

GSV

In the screenshot above, you can pick out a few details here and there that are visible in the 1890's shots. Not much though. Wonder if the house is even restorable? And I wonder what's left of the interior.