View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 2:38 AM

Hi everyone,

For the record, I wanted to update my totals for *certified* totals. So here's the updated page using the New York Times final count of 81,283,098 Biden, 74,222,958 Trump nationally. Remember, these are two-party vote share (since our electoral system is first-past-the-post, not proportional, and third party access is hodgepodge across the nation, looking at two-party and margins is, to me, the most even way to gauge a metro area's politics). Third party does provide a good look into the protest vote, however, so that's definitely another angle not covered here.

NEW 12/19/2020 UPDATE *FINAL CERTIFIED FIGURES*:

OLD 11/13/2020 TABLE:

If you want to spot differences, the best way is to download both pics and use next/back on your photo viewer.

But here are the notable changes I picked up on:
  • No metro areas flipped with final numbers. I was particularly worried Biden's 470-vote margin in Louisville MSA would evaporate, but Biden wound up winning the MSA by 505 votes ultimately.
  • Baltimore's margin expanded from Biden +25 to Biden +27
  • Boston's margin expanded from Biden + 36 to Biden +37
  • Buffalo's margin expanded from Biden +1 to Biden +11(!). This was a stunner, since it bucked the red trend in other Rust Belt metros. I was thinking this would flip with final numbers, since Biden +1 seemed rosy. But Upstate New York State snapped back to Dems this year.
  • Detroit's margin expanded from Biden +13 to Biden +14
  • New York's margin expanded from Biden +22 to Biden +28 once NYC dropped its final counts
  • Portland's margin contracted from Biden +32 to Biden +31, due to minor rounding (+31.52% > 31.48%%)
  • Riverside's margin contracted from Biden +10 to Biden +9, due to the last batch being slightly more Rep-leaning (-0.16% margin) + rounding
  • Sacramento's margin contracted from Biden +18 to Biden +17, as Placer County was disproportionately out.
  • Washington margin expanded from Biden +47 to Biden +48, as Montgomery County was disprortionately out.

Just like I added Clinton, the long-term plan is to add 2000-2012 presidential numbers.