View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This is a mistake to reply again, but Anyway, since i made it I might as well continue.. lived in dc for many years.

The metro to Tysons/Reston/Dulles is just the worst idea possible. It is going to make DC as a city a worse place. Yeah, I said it again because it sucks. More and more people can now live way out in the boring exurbs due to cheap housing and the metro that will ferry them to work in Tysons, DC and other poles. Also, people from DC and the inner suburbs will be able to go and work out in Tysons/Reston/Dulles areas which is again detrimental to the central city. For those of us who hate decentralized cities, this is another awful development. All this while DC is growing very slowly and is losing out on tax revenues and population growth (density required to make it a world class city) because it has restrictive backward laws that won't allow it to add adequate development, housing, reduce costs of living, reduce taxes, etc... The area is just planned for mediocrity.

And, who in their right mind allowed those ugly concrete superstructures to be built above ground in Tysons/Mclean? It makes the area ugly as hell. This isn't a high density concrete jungle, this is a low density suburb of office buildings surrounded by garden suburbs. It looks like Bangkok on Potomac or something now with this concrete monstrosity. How many years of development will it take before these eyesores are somewhat disguised by the planned development of an 'urban' enviornment? I'd say 15+ years. I'd say that didn't go down well with the refined upper class neighbors in the tony suburbs around tysons.
I lived there for over 20 years myself (1967-88). During that time, I went to Reston maybe four times; to Dulles numerous times; to Wolf Trap several times; to Tyson's Corner maybe a dozen times. I lived in town (Capitol Hill and DuPont Circle) and used Metro frequently after it opened and as it expanded. I can't imagine going to the 'burbs any more frequently now that Metro goes there. I suppose it will be good for people who work downtown, but that's about it.