View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 9:42 PM

A new kowloon?

Hey there, been reading your thread. Awesome info. I read somewhere a discussion about if it was possible for a new kowloon to emerge, and i think that there´s a place that might be a candidate.
There´s a "villa miseria" (shanty town i think its called in english?) in the city of Buenos Aires called Villa 31. What´s particular about this slum, because there are many more in Buenos Aires, it that it is located between train tracks and other buildings that impede the horizontal growth of the place. At the same time the villa is positioned in a very centric place of the city, next to the most expensive neighborhood, so it is a very sought after location by poor inmigrants or simply poor argentinians. And also being next to the bus terminal and a train terminal are other factors to consider. The conclusion is that the place is growing vertically, like no other slum in Buenos Aires. I take the train that passes next to the place, every day, and im always counting how many floors the buildings are growing. They are already reaching 6 stories high. And its all unplanned construction. So i think its a very interesting place to keep in mind, in a way is like watching the growth of kowloon.
Oh, another interesting fact, theres a highway that goes right through the middle of the place, which i use very often, and its really impressive to see the buildings now reaching to the side of the highway.