View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyguy View Post
The reason I joined is because there is something driving me crazy dealing with the tunnels. At the intersection of Hill & Temple on the NWC (?) there is a single tunnel heading north. Someone please tell what this tunnel is and where does it come out ?
Hi Brad, welcome to the thread. Hill Street proper continues across Temple and up the slope of Fort Moore Hill. But the P&E tracks bend to the west and cross Temple at an angle and enter a tunnel that carries them under Fort Moore Hill pretty much directly under the old Los Angeles High School building up on the hill near California Street and Hill St. This tunnel is sometimes referred to as the second Hill Street tunnel or Hill Street tunnel number two.

Here's a shot of the intersection but I'm afraid shows little of the actual tunnel entrance which is just barely out of frame on the left...(and no, that's not Burt Lancaster coming up the sidewalk...)

Hill Street Tunnel at Temple, 1945

Small businesses and dilapidated hotels and apartments are in this view looking north from the top of the Hill Street Tunnel which was bored through a part of Bunker Hill in 1909 and connects Hill Street from First to Temple. The tunnel has two lanes; one for streetcars, left, and one for automotive traffic. A northbound Pacific Red Car stops for passengers. It will continue across Temple and then bend slightly left (west) and enter a tunnel which will carry it under Fort Moore Hill and come out on the north side adjacent to the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Hill Street. A billboard for "Rice Krispies" with its "Snap, Crackle, Pop", right, is in front of the 'Temp-Hill' Hotel (get it? Temp-Hill, Temple and Hill?? Yeah corny). Center, a billboard for "GMC Trucks" borders a parking lot. At the back of the lot is a billboard for "Eskimo Pie". A man climbs the stairs at the side of the tunnel. The broken balustrade on top is held together by a wooden frame.

LAPL

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Feb 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM. Reason: additional image and info