View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Honestly, I don't think congestion pricing would solve Beijing's problems. I really don't know what would at this point. I'd think just the thought of driving in peak hour traffic in Beijing would be enough to keep people off the roads and on the subway, but obviously not. I'm just glad that Shanghai managed to avoid Beijing's traffic hell, without even the need to resorting to daily driving bans.

A lottery for a plate isn't a lottery to buy a car unless there are restricted areas in Beijing where out of province plates are completely banned (I'm not entirely familiar with Beijing's license plate restrictions, so I don't know if such areas exist or not). You can always get a plate from another province, as I have - my car doesn't have a Shanghai plate but rather an Anhui plate, and out of province plates are very common here in Shanghai. The restrictions from driving on the elevated roads during peaks hours don't bother me at all, considering I'd never want to drive at peak hours anyway - the Metro is far faster and more convenient for peak hour travel.
Non-Beijing plates will need to get a permit to drive in Beijing, and the permit is only valid for 7 days. You can only get 12 permits per year. You need a Beijing plate unless you only plan to drive less than 3 months per year.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20180...f8f59d362.html