View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:17 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
A neighborhoods composed almost entirely of single family detached houses (like mine) can have 10,000 people per square mile easily and thus it is laughable to consider 700 per square mile urban, that is textbook exurban. Oddly enough though eliminate that farmland, make the streets more grid pattern and the houses smaller and it doesn't look all that different from the bombed out neighborhoods of Detroit. I think in much of metro Detroit urbanism is almost like a dead religion, there is some ancestoral memory of urban living but the average person has little to no frame of proper reference.
That is a picture of a neighborhood 37 miles from downtown Detroit. That particular square mile has a density of 281 ppsm. It's only a representation of the metropolitan fringes where large-lot residential dominates. It is hardly indicative of a typical metro Detroiter's neighborhood. It's not even classified as urban by the Census Bureau. I was just giving an example of what semi-urban development along the metropolitan fringe looks like. Oakland County has tons of it, but because it is so lightly populated, it is about as typical (population-wise) as people living in the downtowns of Royal Oak, Birmingham, Rochester, Ferndale, Milford, Farmington, Pontiac, etc.