View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:51 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
And there's no good reason that I can think of for it to not be its own county.
I certainly can. Splitting only makes sense, IMO, in a maturing county where you have a huge difference in how one part of the county is doing over the other (i.e. one part of the county is just plain booming and the other completely collapsing), or where there is a power struggle, or where you have a really vivid divide between urban and rural or a vivid divide in politics. None of that is true in Wayne County, anymore.

There may have been a time where it might have made sense when the county was still developing. There are no longer any overriding reasons for either to want to get rid of the other. Wayne County does little in Detroit and vice versa, meaning that there isn't any real acrimony, and thus little reason for a split. There are few municipalities in the state that aren't cutting services and employees.

I'm actually shocked anyone is seriously arguing for a split, in a environment where cratering budgets and how we fund local government in this state is facilitating the need for more and closer intra and inter-county relationships, not fewer. If anything, the times are requiring stronger and fewer local governments, not more.