View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Beer and Ritz Crackers, an interesting combination.

I actually looked through this book some weeks ago while I was at Vroman's in Pasadena. It's a fascinating book. I don't recall it mentioning this, though:

Photo by me

This supposedly is the oldest bathhouse in Los Angeles, established in 1905, corner of 4th and Los Angeles Streets. As far as I know, it's still in business (I've never been to it myself) and is now called the KLYT bathhouse. But it used to known as the Palace Turkish Baths. This is from a 1967 LA phone book:

gaytubs.com

Here it is in the context of the surrounding blocks. I took these photos on 12/31/09. The building under construction on the right is now complete (it's a mixed-use commercial/residential building).

Photo by me

And for historic context, that mixed-use building pales greatly in comparison to what used to be there--- the Westminster Hotel:

USC Archive

The photo dates to before the opening of the bathhouse--circa 1900, the USC Archive says. So none of those gentlemen in the picture were on their way there.

I believe there were a number of bathhouses operating in downtown Los Angeles in the early part of the 20th Century. Of course there were many vice busts that would occur.

This is from an 1895 Los Angeles directory:

gaytubs.com
The bathhouses were not squeezed into the Arcadia book- Recently I cracked the mystery of the Pershing Sq. bath raid- Oops-my battery needs reloading-Later !