View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:37 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

First, I think we can all agree that finally integrating all RTA payment methods onto the Ventra card should happen. Doing that would go a long way toward making the Mets Electric more attractive to tourists and city dwellers alike.

Second, extending the Green Line to just past Dorchester but then hooking North to 55th with stops at Dorchester, Woodlawn, 59th, and 55th seems like a good balance of expense and effectiveness. No major bridges, no tunnelling required, and no serious noise complaints if its next to the IC tracks anyway. Two miles of virgin track and four stations seems like it should be doable for half a billion dollars.

A dream scenario would then extend the western branch first to almost Western and then align with existing trail ROW to the Orange Line, with stops at "almost Western," 59th, and 51st, and running shuttles between Hyde Park and Midway at some point in the distant future. That pulls in Gage Park and improves the attractiveness of Hyde Park for weekly air commuters. Cost for that is probably closer to $750 million but might be worth it, especially politically. For another $250 million, the Green Line southwest branch could be rebuilt on the east side of the Dan Ryan with a transfer station to the Red Line at 63rd.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Jun 15, 2021 at 11:56 PM.