View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:40 PM

Company Turning WWII Bunkers into Data Storage in Argentia

VOCM News
Sept 25, 2015

Not really Economic news for St. John's but definitely for the Avalon region... and Argentia in particular.

Quote:
A Canadian data storage company is repurposing some very old property in Argentia. COO and Chief Strategist for Teslagistics, Allan Meiusi, told the Placentia Bay Industrial Showcase yesterday about their plans for WWII-era bunkers in Argentia.

Teslagistics has been called the greenest data storage company in Canada. Meiusi told the conference delegates that going green makes sense economically. He says the bunkers will be fixed up as data storage centres for government and corporations, but it's less work to fix than the company originally thought.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...57529&latest=1

I think this is a great business opportunity for the province. Everyone talks about diversifying our economy and lowering our dependency on oil... what a better way!

I think NL is strategically positioned to be a big player in housing and maintaining large data centres. 1) We definitely have the space; 2) our climate is ideal for cooling data centres; 3) Muskrat Falls (and potentially Gull Island) can provide clean, reusable power needed to run these centres; and 4) our geographical proximity to NA and Europe positions us well.

I'm sure there are tons of other regulations, laws, taxation, etc. that comes into play here, but I really think there's the potentially for such an industry in NL. Just my $0.02....