View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Wow. Nice!!! The sign could be as much as 70+ years old, though it's more likely from sometime in the 1940s. That's still pretty darned old!

http://www.caltrafficsigns.com/history.php

I'm really surprised to see this sign is still in use. Someone in the road department in South Pasadena is probably sentimental about it and that's why it's still up there!

On my recent trip to L.A., I saw one overpass sign on the Pasadena Freeway that was still one of the So. Cal. Auto Club porcelain steel signs. I would bet there are less than 100 of those type signs still in use in the southland today. I'd even go so far as to say less than 50...
Thanks for the link, LA Past. I figured that the sign must be at least from the 1940s. When I first moved to South Pasadena I noticed a sign near the San Marino border, I think it was a "SOUTH PASADENA CITY LIMIT" sign, black lettering on a white background, with the So. California Auto Club logo on it. Some years later it was replaced with a modern sign. I thought it was a shame, I regretted not having taken a picture of it.

~ Charles Bukowski