View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I also like that photo of the Mercury station wagon. I really like the license plate, that old "California Exempt" plate with the "E" in a shield. It's also the older, larger California plate, before the dimensions of North American plates were standardized to 12" by 6" in 1956. Prior to that, license plate sizes varied by the different states.

Perry Mason Online

The Mercury wagon that carried Barbara Graham to the electric chair, as well as the one passing the Hall of Justice
above in a Perry Mason episode, no doubt came off the Lincoln-Mercury assembly line right in L.A.--well, technically it was in
Maywood, in the Central Manufacturing District, part of which is shown here:

USC

I've never been able to find a picture of the L.A. L-M factory, but there were several Ford Division plants around Los Angeles County.
Model T's were assembled downtown at 12th and Olive until 1914, when operations were moved to a new factory at
7th and Santa Fe:

USC

It still stands:

Model Ts and As were built there until 1930, when the Long Beach factory opened:

USC

It served until 1959, when Pico Rivera came online, lasting about 20 years. Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys, several GM
nameplates, Chryslers products, Studebakers, Nashes, and Willyses were all once built in L.A.--but now, nothing.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM.