View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 3:49 PM
BANNED

^^^ I think I know what he was trying to say...we don't have pedestrian activity year 'round bc its just not convenient for anything but autos.

Even though midtown Central is lined with numerous high/mid rises that creates a nice skyline, they are suburban in nature, designed for the automobile even in the heart of the city. Every high rise has its own parking structure, usually behind the building. One may not even have to drive on Central to get to work! The buildings themselves, are set back from the sidewalk with ample open space (just think Viad or any other mid-town office building).

It would be nice if someday the open space surrounding these "towers" were allowed to be developed into 3-5 story apartments, condos, shops (for Joe Schmo) that front Central with connectivity to LRT and office towers.

How do you get office workers out of their car if it is just too easy to park in the garage and take the elevator up to the office? Parking should be limited and expensive, right now, it is just too convenient and cheap for commuters to drive into work from outer residential districts.

Parking is so cheap in these garages (I know of one that is $16/month unlimited parking for employees, some might be free) that nobody parks at meters for $1.50/hour.