View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
Besides the fact that unless you ran the elevated line down the sides of the road instead of the center, no one is going to want to walk down the middle of Central underneath train tracks. That would really, really ramp up cost lol!

Go to Paris where the metro line 2 runs elevated down the center of the street, people do not walk underneath the tracks.
There are plenty of places where walkways are used effectively underneath the tracks in the center of the road. I think it's a bad idea in Phoenix both because walkways are effective underneath elevated tracks, which Phoenix doesn't have (they're on the way up or down from the trains and stations, not out of the way for people to get up to them above everything else) and Phoenix doesn't have enough street life as it is, we don't need to cannibalize what little street life we have by diverting it away from the sidewalks and storefronts (or potential storefronts) and up above the middle of the road.

Bangkok for example has a large elevated walkway underneath a significant portion of the BTS train. It connects directly into the upper levels of nearby buildings and it has room for vendors and shops (coffee/doughnut shops, newsstands, currency exchanges, etc.) along the walkway. My pics.

Like I said though, the walkway is easily accessible and underneath the train, and the sidewalks are so thoroughly congested with people and street vendors that having elevated walkways increases mobility without cannibalizing the street life.