View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I'll have to see renderings before I can make a judgement, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the jumbotron idea. Is it going to be plastered with ads when there's not an event? Seems inevitable.

The relative lack of huge billboards and corporate advertising helps gives downtown the independent, personal vibe that it has. That's a huge asset to our city. Showy, Vegas-style billboard advertising is a poor fit, and will undermine what makes downtown a nice place to be.
Yeah, I initially thought a jumbotron doesn't sound like it would fit in the Grove either, but the Grove is going to have a completely different vibe once all this is complete. I think with the new pedestrian alley full of neon signs, a shiny new building, transit center, and already having the entrance to the Century Link Arena, a little more glitz and advertising is inevitable. Whether the direction this is going in is for the best or not is debatable, but it will offer something that is a little different, and I think it's a good thing for downtown to have some contrast. JUMP will probably end up being the new quiet low-key meeting space to replace the Grove.

And in regards to the three options they are proposing, I think the Grove must remain public. The fact that is even a question is incredibly worrisome. The Grove is downtown's focal point, and 8th St is the main north/south pedestrian route through downtown, it should always be open.