View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Can you provide some streetview links? I've poked around the Museum District and haven't been able to find a commercial district.

This is the closest thing I have been able to find to a walkable commercial district, and there is parking in front of all the buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7174...7i16384!8i8192

I'm genuinely perplexed. Nashville, which gets a lot of shit from urbanists, appears to have more pedestrian-centered commercial districts than massive Houston. All this talk of Houston densifying is great, but how dense can you really be if everything, and I mean really almost everything, is developed around the car? As auto-oriented as LA is portrayed, it has TONS of walkable commercial districts all over town. Its transition from a driving city to a walking/transit one is ongoing, but at least the bones are in place for such a transition. How can Houston be retrofitted in a more urban way when it lacks the very ingredients that create high-density urban neighborhoods? Dallas seems to have much more going for it on this front than Houston.
There really isn't any because the city had excessive mandatory parking minimums outside of downtown. It wasn't until this past July they exempted Midtown and East Downtown as well so we'll see how new development shapes up in the coming years.

The parking garage in that streetview is relatively new (in relation to the rest of the 'village') because so it is such a congested area and there was (and still is) no place to park and transit ins't really an option.