View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:38 AM

Chuckaluck's link leads to a set of four pictures taken at the intersection of West Pico Boulevard and South Ardmore Avenue in 1929. I decided to do "then and nows" with three of them, although it looks like GW just beat me to the first one. Since I've already done the screengrabs, I'll include my versions here too.

USC Digital Library

As GW says, quite a few of these buildings have survived relatively intact, which should please Albany NY. The building behind the "Hot Paris" sign in the picture above is the yellow building behind the white one in the picture below. The white building on the left has survived reasonably well too. You can even still see the framework for the California Storage Co roof sign, although the current sign isn't as interesting.

GSV

This shot shows Pico looking south from Ardmore.

USC Digital Library

The house across the street is now a medical center, and apart from losing the Alamo Lunch cafe at the front, it looks fairly similar to the picture above.

GSV

This one is the reverse of the picture above.

USC Digital Library

I think the green building is a modified version of the one in the picture above. It's lost a few windows, but looks quite well kept. I was pleased to see that the house on the right with the diamond shaped skylights is still there. In the picture above, it looks like there's a single-story house next to the diamond skylight house. It's actually a seemingly well-preserved little courtyard of houses.

GSV