View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:51 AM

+ Toulouse and Barcelona.

For Toulouse, note that the red area, i.e. the Haute-Garonne department, is larger than the metro area of Toulouse. The southern part of the department, i.e. the Pyrénées foothills and valleys, is entirely outside the Toulouse metro area, and it has lots of old people, so it makes the Toulouse figures look artificially older than what they really are. Unfortunately we have no 2013 data for the Toulouse metro area, so we have to use figures for the entire department instead. Based on the 2011 census, the share of 0-19 y/o in the Toulouse metro area should be around 24.8% instead of 24.3% for the entire department. The share of 25-49 y/o should be 35.5% instead of 34.9%, and the share of people older than 65 should be 14.5% instead of 15.3%.

What's surprising is the low proportion of people 20-24 y/o in Barcelona. I would have expected a higher proportion. Toulouse, on the other hand, is a big university town, and it shows in the figures. In fact the proportion of people 20-24 y/o jumps to 13.5% in the city of Toulouse proper. For comparison in the city of Barcelona proper the proportion of people 20-24 y/o is only 4.7%, i.e. slightly lower than in the entire Barcelona province. I don't think this can be explained by high rents, because in the city of Paris proper the proportion of people 20-24 y/o is 8.5% (compared to 6.9% in the entire Paris Region), and in Inner London the proportion of people 20-24 y/o is 8.2% (compared to 6.6% in the entire London LUZ).

Last edited by New Brisavoine; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM.