View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 10:46 AM
Judge Issues Temporary Hold, Preventing MTA Layoffs
By: NY1 News

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says a judge issued a temporary hold last night, blocking the layoffs of several hundred station agents who were supposed to be laid off today.

As part of the latest round of agency layoffs, 475 subway clerks were planning on turning in their badges and uniforms today.

Instead, they are supposed to report for work.

"We're not out of the woods yet. I'm hoping that the governor, the [MTA] chairman, and the union can sit together and come to a very amicable agreement so we can keep working," said a station agent.

"I have one child in college and I have to support him, you know," said another.

"Terrorists are constantly attacking, that the subway system is one of their prime targets,” said a third. “Station agents are the eyes and the ears of the whole system."

Their positions are among the nearly 1,500 jobs being slashed from bus and subway divisions to help close an $800 million budget gap.

Transit officials say even more layoffs are expected. Plans call for a 15 percent reduction in administrative head count, as well as a 20 percent reduction at MTA headquarters.

The agency says it has been forced to make the tough decisions because of lower-than-expected tax revenue and cuts in state aid.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved.