View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's another building I found while searching USC for pictures of South Vermont. The address in the description seems to belong to the photographer: "Photo by Coy Watson Photos / A credit line is appreciated / 118 South Vermont Avenue / Los Angeles 4, Calif. / DRexel 2751". The Mayan Hotel (or Hotel Mayan) was at 3049 W 8th Street.

USC Digital Library

The building is now the Mayan Apartments. I was going to post a GSV image, but then I found this better one on loopnet.com. Their description says:

"The Mayan Apartments is a 5-story brick building built in 1926. The building is located west of Vermont Avenue on the northwest corner of 8th Street and New Hampshire Avenue in an extremely strong rental market. The unit mix consists of 129 bachelors, 6 one bedroom/one bath, 1 two-bedroom/one bath, and 1 three-bedroom/two bath unit. Additionally there are 6 commercial storefront units. All apartment units are master metered."

www.loopnet.com

The main structure of the blade sign is still present on the front, and one word of the roof sign also survives.

GSV

Thanks. I did the GSV panorama using Photomerge on an old version of PhotoShop.
The other cool thing in these pics is ...its being fixed up. Hopefully it wont be a cheap job... like we have seen too many times....
Its probably done be now..I wonder if there is a newer pic of it? I will see what I can find.