View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Wondering...

While looking at some recent postings with Pacific Electric Red Cars in them I was wondering why more Hollywood films of the 30's, 40's and 50's didn't make use of them, specifically, or use them as atmosphere at the very least? Off the top of my head I can't even think of a film with a scene that takes place on one? (Although I can think of a couple that use Angel's Flight.)
I've noticed that private autos and other vehicles often seem to be preferred as TV and film settings. In Seinfeld, for example, even with the four main characters living in NYC, they almost always were shown getting around the city by driving. Perhaps a train or bus set is more difficult for the actors and cinematographers to work with, besides the fact that a public transit based scene usually needs extras to portray other people on the train, in order to be realistic.

In more recent films and commercials I've seen the Metro quite a bit, although here too this often happens mainly because it's needed as a plot device (e.g. Speed, Collateral, etc.).

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.