View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:30 PM

usc digital archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Actually ethereal the Richfield Building would be on the block just west from there, out of frame (at the bottom of the pic). What this picture does show is the site of what is currently the Standard Hotel and the surface parking lot behind it, and the California Club.
Thanks for the explanation sopas_ej.

This photograph is of the site shown in the above photo (except from a different angle).
The year is 1930 and the brand new building is the California Club. The Bible Institute can be seen in both photos.

usc digital archive

below: I also found this photo of the California Club in 1928.
This is the previous location at the northwest corner at Fifth & Hill Street.

usc digital archive

below: Before the Fifth & Hill location (above), the California Club was located on the top two floors of the Wilcox Building
at the southeast corner of Spring and Second Street. The Wilcox Building was the first building in Los Angeles to have
TWO elevators-one for the public and one for the members of the California Club.

usc digital archive

The original location of the California Club was in the second floor rooms of the Tally-Ho Stables at the northwest corner of First and Fort (now Broadway) Streets.

I thought I had a photo of the Tally-Ho Stables....but I can't find it. ......still looking.

I FOUND IT!!

usc digital archive

The Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trade also met in rooms above the stables.
This view is looking northwest from the Nadeau Hotel.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM.