View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Im talking about the area in between 45 and highway 59 on Fannin, Main Street, Travis, Milam, and San Jacinto, basically Midtown. Those streets have just tons of vacant lots and run down buildings that could easily be restored. I havent see too much infill, if any in these areas and its pretty terrible looking for the most part if you are a tourist or suburbanite visiting downtown and taking the train.

Basically this whole area, sure theres been some infill but it seems to me that relatively little has gone on aruond this what I would deem highly desirable area.
One problem is that the LRT jacked up the land prices so the areas west and east saw more infill. I would say along Elgin there has been great infill plus infrastructure improvements (wider sidewalks, buried lines, more pedestrian features, ertc.). Hopefully as residential gradually increases (there are still a few projects in that area you highlighted that are under construction) it will continue to densify.

Another problem is the fact that Houston's low land prices and no traditional zoning created many different hotspots around downtown and in the loop. There is Montrose, Upper Kirby, Rice Military, West End, East End, Museum District all competing with Midtown.