View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:07 PM

Ok a couple of things here.

Yes I think anyone plugged into the housing prices crisis here would agree, hopefully even the entire city council, wasting more space on retail only projects should be a complete no-go at this point. In this market I don't even think there is a legitimate argument for "take what you can get" if what you get is zero housing. The property might as well stay empty if it's going to offer zero housing.

As far as construction not even penciling out for the standard 5 story apartment complex...based on the 1000's of units under construction right now, I don't think we should draw any conclusions from one company, but if we are close to that point I think it's time to the state government to step in. Yes I know snfenoc your head just exploded.

If the only thing builders claim will pencil out is suburban low density track houses in the far out suburbs like Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, etc and we get to a point where is no housing being built in the city (because it doesn't pencil out) then that will be in 100% complete violation of the state's anti sprawl laws (SB375) and the goals of the state to be a leader on combating climate change. I don't like NIMBYism but citizens would have the right and the facts on their side to sue the state government to step if we get to the point where "the market" can only support suburban sprawl in direct violation to SB375. Plus the state and Newson would be complete and utter hypocrites if they allowed that to happen.