View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegger View Post
So... Kind of a weird question. Does anybody know why Edmonton is left of the rest of the province? I know it's been that way for over 100 years...I've just been wondering. Poll accuracy aside, to have the ndp lead in one city with the wildrose leading everywhere else in the province is a pretty big divide and speaks to something different. I know the bigger university and government is in Edmonton, but is that it? Or is there any other reason Edmonton seems to hang one (or four) step(s) left of its province? I know there's no easy answer, but as somebody who didn't grow up in Edmonton, I'm curious as to if I am missing something.
It is true, Edmonton is left of Calgary and the rest of the province.

You will also find that northern Alberta as a whole is less conservative than southern Alberta (if you look at a 2012 election map you can see it very clearly, with the north going PC and the south Wildrose. Northern rural areas were historically more receptive to Liberals and New Democrats as well).

This is an article I find really interesting and quite a good history behind it. It's definitely a distinction that remains lost on most from outside the province.

http://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/2014...-two-albertas/

Last edited by BretttheRiderFan; Apr 12, 2015 at 9:02 AM.